During a Chemical Emergency
You may hear about a chemical emergency through the Emergency Alert System, the community warning sirens, or a Advisor Alert Radio. If you hear about an accident you should:
- Listen to make sure that you are in the affected zone(s) being asked to shelter (see zone maps).
- Go indoors immediately, taking people and pets with you.
- Close and lock all windows and doors (locking provides a better seal).
- Shut off heating/air-conditioning systems and fans that draw air from the outside. Close vents.
- If you have a fireplace, put out the fire and close the damper.
- Go to the room that you have chosen as your shelter room, Take your SIP kit if it is not already in the room, Have enough food and water for a few hours.
- Close and seal the door in the shelter room from rest of the house with plastic and duct tape. Cover any windows, vents, and electrical outlets with plastic and tape.
(Note: you will not run out of air in a shelter room. Sealing the room just slows the flow of air from the outside, protecting you longer from possible exposure).
- Turn on your radio and/or TV for further information and instructions.
- Stay in your shelter room until you are instructed to exit
If you do not have a Shelter In Place kit come to our offices at
560 S Keeneland Dr. Richmond, KY 40475 and we will supply you with one.