In response to COVID-19 outbreak and the request by President Donald Trump and Governor Andy Beshear to limit person to person interaction,
the Madison County Government and its related offices are open to the public by appointment only. Online, Phone and Mail options remain available.

Toggle Bar

2017 Detention Court ArticleWhere Do I Go for Court?

There are two types of courts that handle cases in Madison County.

districtcourtDistrict Court is the court of limited jurisdiction and handles juvenile matters, city and county ordinances, misdemeanors, violations, traffic offenses, probate of wills, arraignments, felony probable cause hearings, small claims involving $2,500 or less, civil cases involving $5,000 or less, voluntary and involuntary mental commitments and cases relating to domestic violence and abuse.

If you are ordered to District Court:
Madison Disctrict Court
351 W. Main St.
Richmond, KY 40475.



Circuit Court is the court of general jurisdiction that hears civil matters involving more than $5,000, capital offenses and felonies, land dispute title cases and contested probate cases.

If you are ordred to Circuit Court:
Madison Circuit Court
101 W Main St. (Second Floor)
Richmond, KY 40475



Family Court as a division of Circuit Court with general jurisdiction, the family court division of Circuit Court further retains primary jurisdiction in cases involving dissolution of marriage; child custody; visitation; maintenance and support; equitable distribution of property in dissolution cases; adoption; and, termination of parental rights. In addition to general jurisdiction of Circuit Court, the family court division of Circuit Court, concurrent with the District Court, has jurisdiction over proceedings involving domestic violence and abuse; the Uniform Act on Paternity and the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act; dependency, neglect, and abuse; and, juvenile status offenses.

If you are ordred to Family Court:
Madison Family Court
119 N 1st St.
Richmond, KY 40475

Can't find what you are looking for?

Connect with us

Translate our site